Get To Know Your Fellow Bear Bull Traders Members: Interview with True
1. Chat Name
- San Diego, CA. Originally from Nashua, NH
3. How Long have you been trading?
- Been trading stocks on my own in some fashion for a little over 3 years. Started learning about day trading about a year and a half ago, but I didn’t really take it very serious until after reading Andrews book in January 2018. I did a few months of SIM per the advice in Andrews book when I switched to DAS and have been Live day trading and taking it much more serious for maybe 8 or 9 months now.
4. When and why did you join Bear Bull Traders?
- I signed up for BBT in January 2018. I read Andrews first book and really liked it so I decided to check out the site. I’d tried out some of the competition previously but none of it ever really hit home for me. When I signed up for BBT I realized it was much different than everything else I’d checked out up to that point and was impressed. I immediately signed up for the lifetime membership as soon as it was offered.
5. Recommended Trading Book/Readings/Videos?
- Obviously Andrew and Brian’s books haha. After that these are probably ones that everyone knows already, but I liked One Good Trade by Mike Bellafiore, Trading for a Living by Alexander Elder, and when I was first learning The Candlestick Course by Steve Nison was pretty helpful. A couple extra that are basically the complete opposite of day trading, and even talk bad about it, but I think contain good info for long term/retirement accounts are A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel, The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle, and The Little Book that Builds Wealth by Pat Dorsey. And for something different, if anyone has an Apple TV there is an app you can download called Tasty Trade which has tons of videos and lessons, although its mostly about Options trading.
6. Top 3 favorite trading setups
- I do best with Support/Resistance plays and Reversals. I’ve also really started to like Bull/Bear Flags, but only early in the morning.
7. Best advice you were ever given and can pass on?
- Realize that you’re going against the smartest, most well funded, corrupt people on earth, that have more experience than you, and they sit around all day scheming up ways to take your money. Start small and work your way up slowly as you get better and gain experience. Don’t focus on the money at first, and instead just focus on getting better. The money will come as you get better. You need to survive the learning curve first before you can consistently make the big money.
8. Most Interesting Day Trading Story?
- When I first started trading I noticed that certain cheap stocks would go crazy for a day or two before coming back to earth and thought I could maybe make some money out of them buying a larger quantity of shares and playing the momentum. This is before I knew what a low float even was or meant. I think it was in November of 2016 I played this shipping company stock DRYS and in the course of a couple days it went from like $5 to $100+ and back. It went up something ridiculous like 2000%. I was buying like a 1000 shares at a time and it would skyrocket and I’d be up a like a couple grand, but then it would get halted. I had no idea what a halt was at that point either. Then it would come out of the halt and I’d be down a grand or whatever, or sometimes up even more. Some of the halts were loooooong too. Basically I just kept trading in and out of this thing having no idea what I was doing and going up or down thousands of dollars at a time. For someone that had essentially no day trading experience up until that point it was insane. I’m lucky I didn’t blow up my account. In the end I ended up making a relatively small amount compared to everything I went through and I’m pretty sure I got killed by commissions because I was using TOS back then. That experience though pretty much planted the seed for me to start getting interested in day trading haha.
9. Anything else you would like to share?
- I’m not sure when this is gonna get posted, but if they’re still in the playoffs, Go Celtics and Go Bruins!!!!